Grade 7 | Science | Conductors and insulators, Heat, Olympiad, CBSE, ICSE, SOF, ITO
Such materials which allow the heat to pass through them easily are called conductors. You must know that the metals are good conductors of heat.
Usages of conductors-
1. As metals are a good conductor of heat, they are commonly used to make cooking utensils. The heat from the flame easily heats the metals vessel which makes the cooking of food in it easier.
2. The automobile radiator uses copper tubes which absorbs the heat from the hot water in the engine and transmits it to the surroundings. As copper is a good conductor of heat, it is commonly used as copper tubes in an automobile radiator along with the air conditioners and refrigerators as well.
3. Mercury is a good conductor of heat that is why it is used as the thermometric liquid.
Such materials which do not allow the heat to pass through them easily are called insulators.
Usages of insulators
1. We were woollen clothes during winters as they contain trapped air which is an insulator and does not allow the flow of heat outwards. Hence, our body stops losing heat and we feel warm
2. An icebox has the gap between its double wall which is filled with glass and wool which are insulators and prevent the inward flow of heat which doesn't allow the ice to melt.
3. The cooking utensils are made such that their handle is covered with an insulating material which do not become hot even when the utensil is hot.