Grade 3 | Science | Plants characteristics, Living, non living things and plants, Olympiad, CBSE, ICSE, SOF, ITO
Plants play an important part in our life. They are living things like us. Without plants we cannot even think of survival on earth. Plants give us the oxygen we breathe, wood that we eat, wood and several other things.
Following are some of the properties of plants:
1) Plants cannot move from one place to another but their parts show movements towards sunlight, warmth and support. e.g. sunflower turns towards the sun. Climbers move towards support etc.
2) Sunlight, water, soil and air (carbon dioxide) are essential for plants.
3) Plants can exist in water as well.
4) Plants are green in color due to the presence of a green color pigment called chlorophyll. Chlorophyll helps plants in absorbing the energy of sunlight during photosynthesis.
5) As blood flows in the body of humans, similarly sap flows in the plants.
6) The bark is the outermost layer of stem and roots of woody plants. It is like the skin of plants.
7) Plant roots absorb water and transfer it to other parts of the plant through the stem.
8) When a plant has excess water it releases some of the water through stomata. This process is called transpiration. Water is released from the underside of leaves and is converted into vapours. Transpiration is also called evaporation of water from plant leaves.